For some of us, it may be easier to become more discouraged than others. However, there are proactive and practical steps you can take to combat feeling discouraged. The next time you feel the blues coming on, try one of the following ideas:
1) Personal values list — Take five minutes to think about what you truly value or are proud of thus far in your life. Try to write down three or more things that you hold deep in your heart. It should be whatever is important to you, not anyone else. The focus on personal values is key, instead of focusing too much on professional achievement, as most Americans do in our performance-driven culture. Fight your negative thoughts with positive feelings.
2) Take a walk — Take a walk around the building or neighborhood. Physical movement and a change of environment will help to bring about a shift in mood. Getting fresh air is the perfect break to clear your mind.
3) Drink water or munch on something — If you are dehydrated or tired, that will just make things worse. Give yourself an energy boost.
4) Reach out — Call a good friend. By opening up and reaching out to someone you trust part of the burden of discouragement will begin to lift. Oftentimes, we become weighted down due to our concealment of our thoughts and feelings.
5) Reward yourself — Treat yourself to something, coffee, ice cream, cake, you choose. Buy yourself some happiness, if only for a moment.
by Crystal Gettings