Networking is About Connecting with Others and Building Relationships
Networking is the cornerstone of an effective job search. It is an opportunity for you to meet others, ask questions and gather information. For some people, the idea of going out of their way to build relationships is something dreadful that they would rather avoid if possible. Yet, most jobs are found through mutual acquaintances. To avoid networking is like pretending that you want to find a job, but not being willing to walk the talk. If you are apprehensive about it, here’s our tip to you: Don’t look at networking as asking for help. Look at it as getting to know other people, plain and simple.
What are the advantages of networking?
- It’s a chance for you to gather information, whether you are interested to know more about an industry, a company or a position.
- It’s a chance for you to bounce your thoughts with others and make sure you’re heading in the right direction.
- It will keep you motivated and help you avoid the perils of depression from isolating yourself.
- It’s a chance for you to uncover the hidden job market and find opportunities not otherwise advertised.
To sum it up, networking is a chance for you to find out about an opening by being referred to it versus applying to job postings made available to thousands of other candidates all aiming for the same position. The key is to have the courage and the motivation to go out there and network. Your willingness to network is often an indication of how much you want to find a job. If you really want to work, you will do what it takes, and that includes getting out of your comfort zone.
We discuss the various aspects of networking in this section. However, the best way to find out what works for you is to get out there and figure it out for yourself. Let’s go! It’s time to create your own luck.
List of all articles in the networking section.
- Don’t Copy Your Resume to LinkedIn!
- Five Twitter Tips for Promoting Your Brand
- How to Penetrate the Hidden Job Market
- How to Turn Networking Into Interviews: Concrete Steps That You Can Take
- How to Write a LinkedIn Profile That Shines
- Effective Networking: How to Follow-Up After You Meet Someone
- Is a Networking Event Worth it? 6 Factors to Help You Decide
- Is Your Elevator Pitch Working? If Not, Here’s How to Make It Work
- Networking Letters: Creating Your Own Opportunities
- Networking Nerves? 6 Tips for Being a Smooth Operator
- Networking Tips for Shy Individuals
- Networking with an Informational Interview
- Optimize Your LinkedIn Profile if You Want to Stand Out
- Step by Step Guide to a Successful Conversation at a Networking Event
- The Elevator Pitch Advantage
- The Hidden Advantages of Volunteering While Unemployed
- The Importance of Your LinkedIn Profile Picture: How to Enhance Your Professional Image
- Tips on How to Become an Effective Job Search Networker
- Tips on How to Network Using LinkedIn – 7 Secrets Most Professionals Don’t Know
- Top Five Networking Mistakes – And How to Avoid Them
- Why Should You Connect on LinkedIn With People You Don’t Know?
- Writing a WOW LinkedIn Summary: How to Promote Your Brand and Market Yourself