While not a new idea, professional biographies are seeing an increase in popularity as job seekers struggle to stand out from a saturated pool of applicants. The goal behind a professional biography is the same as a traditional resume – to secure a job interview. However, rather than providing a chronological snapshot of your career history a professional biography presents your career in a story format.
Professional biographies may be particularly effective for executives and senior level job seekers with a vast career history. This type of document may also work well for older job seekers that don’t want to call attention to the amount of time they’ve been in the workforce and instead want to highlight the value they would bring to the position. Even if you are not looking for a new position you might be asked to create a biography for a company website or portfolio. See the example below:
A leader in sales and marketing for over 20 years, John Smith’s expertise encompasses all phases of product, marketing and sales cycles from startup companies to internationally recognized organizations. John is currently the Executive Marketing Director for ABC Company tasked with directing all sales and marketing strategies including campaign planning, social media advertising, customer acquisition and loyalty program development.
John was promoted from Regional Marketing Manager at ABC, to Executive Marketing Director in order to develop and lead sales and marketing initiatives companywide. He led the marketing staff, directed all new product roll outs, oversaw collateral and design for marketing and conducted competitive market analysis. He was instrumental in identifying opportunities for promoting and marketing the company image leading to record levels of new revenue. A few examples of his achievements:
- Increased monthly revenue 22% by targeting customers through direct mail and online marketing; secured a 30% response rate with new loyalty marketing program.
- Drove sales of thingamajigs to record-breaking $12M through aggressive mail campaign, increased product training for staff and image development.
- Increased “win back” sales more than 79% by redesigning direct mail campaign to target past customers with strategic, customized offerings.
- Led the development and launch of marketing campaigns which secured $2 million annually through loyalty programs with premium customers.
- Increased email open rate by 30% and enhanced sales after restructuring email marketing program by assessing and analyzing procured data from target demographics to determine most effective marketing campaigns
Throughout his career, John has made a name for himself as a strategic thinker and motivational leader. He has been consistently delivering industry-leading results by driving company growth through new product roll outs, strategic market planning and customer acquisition.
John is a member of American Marketing Professionals and the Association of Sales Professionals. Additionally, he volunteers his marketing expertise to the Humane Society as a member of the board of directors and speaks regularly to the marketing students at ABC College.
Typically a professional biography would be kept to one page. It may be included as part of a professional portfolio along with a cover letter and resume. As always, you should examine whether a professional biography is a strategy that is right for you and your situation.
More sample biographies:
by Megan Koehler