by Kimberly Sarmiento
Text Version of the
Accounting Resume Sample
Phone – Email – LinkedIn
INSURANCE ACCOUNTING PROFESSIONAL
Offers proven success in insurance accounting, reinsurance, and financial accounting, analysis, reporting, and planning. Leverages expertise on industry standards, best practices, and auditing procedures to ensure compliance with internal and external requirements. Excels in general ledger, balance sheet reconciliations, journal entries, and monthly, quarterly, and year-end closings. Ensures accuracy, completeness, and proper processing of reports and other documentation.
– Select Contributions –
- Currently analyzes $2B in premium and $1B in losses for various quota-share, excess of loss, and facultative programs while also reviewing and authorizing staff accounts.
- Spearheaded a team of four in interfacing $500M in collected premium and $250M in recoveries to the WINS Insurance Accounting system in less than one week.
- Managed Letters of Credit by notifying Treasury Services of all large receipts and disbursements and prepared disbursements up to $25M by verifying client requests for payments to ensure agreement with contract terms.
Company Name (2008 – 2016)
Associate Manager – Ceded Reinsurance Accounting Department (2011 – 2016)
Promoted to manage three staff members in handling accounts and daily operations for the ceded reinsurance accounting department. Maintained all duties from prior position and directed special projects as needed.
- Served as liaison for all internal and external auditing requests and inquiries pertaining to the department while maintaining a perfect record with zero penalties due to incorrect accounting procedures.
- Reviewed, setup, and interfaced new ceded reinsurance quota share, excess of loss, and facultative contracts once received from the underwriting department.
- Completed, reviewed, and analyzed Schedule F and Schedule P for year-end closings.
Accounting Analyst – Ceded Reinsurance Accounting Department (2008 – 2011)
Delivered timely reporting and accurate processing of all assigned accounts while ensuring compliance with contract terms, department standards, and GAAP requirements by working with all levels of the organization.
- Analyzed $1.2B in premium and $600M in loss for quota-share, excess of loss, and facultative programs.
- Contributed to the monthly and quarterly closing process to facilitate adherence to fast-close requirements.
- Assisted in analyzing financial results and recorded all accruals/journal entries for monthly and quarterly closings.
- Entered journal entries into PeopleSoft for general ledger postings and export reports to Excel for accounting.
- Reconciled bank and balance sheet accounts and inter-company accounts, prepared elimination journal entries for general ledger accounts, and assisted in preparation of Schedule F and Schedule P for year-end closings.
Company Name (2007 – 2008)
Project Accountant Coordinator
Performed accounts payable functions for Speaker Bureau Meetings across the US.
- Coded $700K daily in PaymentNet charges from company credit cards, ensuring all charges were correctly allocated to categories such as meetings, preferred vendors, and travel.
- Requested and processed speaker expense checks and verified venue receipts against post-meeting files.
- Received and updated fulfillment jobs to ensure post-meeting jobs were processed in a timely manner.
- Handled accounts for client companies, utilizing JP Morgan Chase payment net website to identify/research charges.
- Processed Speaker Bureau manifests, bank statement reconciliations, and W-9 forms for 60+ speakers.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
MS, Finance & Accounting – University Name | BS, Accounting – University Name
Technical Skills: PeopleSoft/People Tools, WINS, SICS, OnBase, ImageRight, Monarch, DataWareHouse, QuickBooks, MS Office, Access, Peachtree Accounting Software, SPSS, Great Plains, eFreedom, and Maple Software