Text Version of the
Retail Buyer Resume Sample
123 Main Street • Anytown, USA • 800-764-8709 • [email protected]
RETAIL PURCHASING EXPERT
Accomplished and strategic buyer with over 15 years of professional expertise in merchandise purchasing within the fashion industry. History of success securing sales and revenue by capitalizing on growth opportunities to exceed financial objectives. Superior management style, communication skills, and relationship-building with a history of establishing and retaining accounts in a highly competitive marketplace. Proven record of securing high-volume sales by restructuring business operations and introducing innovative marketing strategies.
Account Management • Trend Assessment • Inventory Control • Product Promotion • Team Leadership • Product Performance Analysis • Contract Negotiation • Employee Development Marketing & Advertising • Merchandising Strategy • Product Development • Vendor Acquisition
Reduced inventory costs $72,000 by developing and implementing controlled purchasing and inventory maintenance processes. This process eliminated inventory and purchasing redundancies while establishing and simplifying guidelines for merchandise purchasing.
Enhanced sales 90% by restructuring marketing and advertising strategies to enhance consumer relevancy and secure a greater market share. Conducted consumer evaluations, market analysis, and trend assessments to determine merchandising strategies and reduce risk. Integrated findings into focused and customized marketing campaigns.
Created and put into action a business development plan to secure and market upscale merchandise which increased annual sales 60% within first year of implementation. Identified a consumer need and responded with products and promotion that immediately filled a niche and resulted in untapped revenue.
Collaborated directly with manufacturers to develop exclusive product ideas and innovative product lines unique to the industry. Directed extensive industry wide examination to determine saturation in product inventory. Identified opportunities to introduce new products and target varied consumer interests. Oversaw launch and promotion of new line, and generated over $2M in sales.
Utilized negotiation and communication skills to restructure vendor contracts saving over 30% in costs. Met personally with vendors to examine current contracts and determine areas for restructuring. Provided win-win solutions for cost savings on both sides.
Awarded the ‘Diamond Award’ three years running in recognition of exceptional revenue gains equal to a 40% increase over previous years. Recognized as Employee of the Year 2009. Inducted into company hall of fame after five straight years of continual sales growth.
Sought out by management to oversee special projects, product promotions, training programs, and sales initiatives because of outstanding product knowledge and marketing techniques. Led product training sessions to increase department staff knowledge and familiarity with merchandise.
John Smith, Page 2
ABC Department Store, 2009 – Present
Buyer, Men’s Casual & Formalwear
- Increased sales from $200,000 to $500,000 by securing contracts with major vendors and increasing the account base by 20+ new accounts.
- Ensured alignment between visual presentation and merchandising strategies with business objectives for the selling floor; instructed managers and associates in sales techniques and client services best practices.
- Maintained current, customer-driven inventory through key merchandise purchasing and vendor contract negotiation in order to reduce inventory costs without compromising product quality.
ShopMart, 2005 – 2009
Buyer, Women’s Athletic Apparel
- Developed and launched athletic merchandising department from the ground up; directed the associates, sales, marketing, operations, and purchasing.
- Created a business development plan to secure and market athletic merchandise; attended trade shows and analyzed sales trends to take advantage of growth opportunities.
- Generated $300,000 in sales the first year of operation by successfully forecasting trends and optimizing merchandise promotions.
Fashion Co., 2002 – 2005
Group Sales Manager
- Oversaw hiring procedures, managed team of 14 employees, and designed and presented training programs for enhanced sales strategies.
- Established, cultivated, and retained client relationships with continuous involvement, follow up, and maintenance of accounts.
- Generated additional by exploring sales opportunities through cross selling within existing and new accounts for maximum sales potential.
Fashion Co., 2000 – 2002
Group Sales Representative
- Oversaw accounts in a four state region including prospecting, securing new accounts, and managing client relationships.
- Doubled new business and increased sales for a territory with a history of underperforming by assessing client needs and delivering high levels of focused service.
Institute of Design
Merchandising & Marketing
The University of Anytown