by Checkmate Resume
Text Version of the
Tax Resume Sample
529 Spark Street ▪ Calgary ▪ Alberta ▪ T4A 1X2
(403) 438-1133 ▪ [email protected]
SENIOR TAX MANAGER
HIGHLIGHT OF QUALIFICATIONS
- In-depth understanding of M&A rules.
- Experience in tax due diligence, planning, compliance and research.
- Experience with cross-border transactions and implementation of tax strategies to reduce cash taxes and maximize return on investments.
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and leading tax team with members from various offices around the globe.
- Practical approach to identifying and resolving tax issues.
- Effective in maintaining good client relations.
Manager, Corporate Tax Services
ACCOUNTING FIRM #1, Calgary, AB 1999 – Current
Manage Tax Due Diligence Projects for Buyers and Sellers • Act for private equity firms, financial institutions, and public/ private corporations to minimize risk and maximize value.
- Review factual backgrounds, investigate filing positions, assess potential risks, quantify tax exposures, and recommend course of action to address issues raised as part of due diligence process.
- Prepare tax models for asset and share transactions to compare the benefits associated with each alternative and provide negotiating price range.
- Identify issues to address during negotiations, suggest organizational structures to minimize tax exposure, and amend prior tax returns to maximize use of tax losses.
- Assist with acquisition and exit tax planning, including minimizing taxes during investment holding period.
Advise Clients on Tax-Related Matters • Devise tax planning structures to “pre-package” various elements of an existing group for an eventual divestiture.
- Provide guidance in consolidating and winding-up Canadian operations in a tax-efficient manner.
- Assist corporations to minimize tax on cash repatriations.
- Draft advance tax rulings to the Canada Revenue Agency and submissions to the Department of Finance.
Contribute to Business Development • Present seminars on tax shelters, interest deductions and recent developments in case law to industry groups.
- Write articles for client and internal newsletters.
- Keep clients informed of tax developments that may impact tax structures.
Page 1 of 2
Associate, Tax Services
ACCOUNTING FIRM #2, Calgary, AB 1997 – 1999
- Prepared corporate and trust tax returns.
- Calculated foreign surplus balances, tax provisions and tax bases.
- Completed foreign reporting forms, tax election forms and clearance certificates.
- Researched legislation, tax treaties, case law, and CRA’s administrative positions on various international and corporate tax issues and drafted memoranda summarizing research findings.
LAW FIRM, Vancouver, BC 1996 – 1997
- Performed corporate due diligence and drafted corporate resolutions and legal agreements relating to sale and purchase of shares and/ or assets.
- Drafted pleading documents for court proceedings.
- Researched and wrote memoranda on various issues related to corporate and securities law.
University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law, Vancouver, BC
Bachelor of Laws, LL.B., 1993 – 1996
University of Victoria, Faculty of Business, Victoria, BC
Bachelor of Commerce, B.Comm, 1989 – 1993
Completed CICA In-Depth Tax Courses I, II, and III (2002)
BAR MEMBERSHIP & PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
Law Society of British Columbia (1998)
Canadian Tax Foundation
International Fiscal Association
Page 2 of 2