How can you thrive in a tough economy? How can you create opportunities in an environment where much is in flux and the world is flurrying around you?
There are things that you can do to make a difference in your work life. There are principles that can PUSH you towards success even in this economy. Select two or three from the list as action items for you to focus on in the next few weeks.
- Believing in Yourself – sometimes, we are holding ourselves back. We don’t believe in ourselves. We ‘forget’ our capabilities. We don’t apply for jobs that we should apply for. We don’t volunteer for projects that we’d be good at. We are afraid of failure, so sometimes we don’t try. Find within yourself a bold belief in your capabilities.
- Finding Your Strengths – in order to thrive, to truly add enormous value to your employers, you need to understand your strengths. Try taking the Strengths Assessment online after buying the Strengthsfinder 2.0 book by Marcus Buckingham. Then work to incorporate your strengths into your job on a daily basis. You will stand out as you use your strengths at work and will find that you do your job better than the others.
- Keeping Up Your Network – you cannot afford to ignore your network in this market. Many of the people finding jobs are finding them through business and family/friend connections. If you’ve let your network dwindle, now is the time to begin building relationships and reviving your lifeline to other organizations and people.
- Keeping Your Eyes on the Horizon – ever noticed clouds off in the distance that indicated a storm coming? The same is true of your work life. You can watch financial revenues and selected metrics to see a storm coming. Try attending educational events and learning new things. If there are new systems, technologies, or trends, strive to be at the forefront of them to guarantee a continuous paycheck.
- Building a Strong Personal Brand – This is an important part of 21st century job seeking. If the senior executives are sitting in a room naming people to be laid off, what is going through their minds about you? You need to control the value message that they think of when they think of you. Develop and continue to build a strong personal brand.
- Obtaining Pay and Position – You may only get 1 in every 4 promotions that you apply for. You can get to where you are going by persevering. Persistence will beat resistance every time. Keep trying, never give up, never lose faith.
- Keeping a Positive Perspective – We live in one of the richest countries in the world. We are clothed in the robes of kings and queens and have access to running water, toilets, houses, furniture, etc. Consider taking a trip to a third world country in person or even online to give yourself a new perspective. Find a new ruler with which to measure your life and your success.
- Setting Targets/Goals – Often times we don’t dream big enough. We set targets that are lower than they should be. Reach for the moon. Target HIGH goals, and then try to achieve them.
I wish you many years of success as you work to thrive in this economy. You control your destiny. Best of luck.
by Bethany Williams